The best way to prevent dengue fever is by taking precautions to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes!
What is Dengue Fever?
Dengue fever is a mosquito borne disease caused by dengue virus which is usually self limiting in most cases. However, in some people it can present with life threatening complications such Dengue Shock Syndrome and Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever.
How does one contract Dengue Fever?
Dengue is not contagious and does not spread from person to person by physical contact. It is acquired when Aedes mosquito – Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus – become infected when they bite infected humans, and later transmit the infection to other people they bite.
What are the Symptoms of Dengue Fever?
The symptoms usually develop within 4-7 days after being bitten by an infected mosquito. Symptoms of classic dengue include:
- -> High fever (up to 40.6 C)
- -> Severe headache with retro-orbital (behind the eye) pain
- -> Severe joint and muscle pain
- -> Nausea and vomiting
- -> Body rash which appears on day 3 or 4
How do we Protect AGAINST Dengue Fever?
The most effective way of preventing dengue fever is by taking precautions to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes.
- -> Use a mosquito repellent containing DEET, or oil of lemon and eucalyptus.
- -> Dress in protective clothing during the day-long-sleeved shirts, long pants, socks, and shoes especially in early morning hours before day break and in late afternoon after dark.
- -> Keep unscreened windows and doors closed.
- -> Get rid of areas where mosquitoes breed, such as standing water in flower pots, containers, and bamboo poles.
Source: Singapore Health Promotion Board
Check out our GIVEAWAY SPECIAL on natural, full-body, full-day protection against mosquitoes – PatchStyx Insect Repellent
I have a year of sabbatical from PSLE before prepping my daughter for it in 2018. If you like this post, please share your thoughts with Us in the comments below or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Till our next post, love yourself, love one another. Live strong and stay free.