In the spirit of celebrating mothers of all kinds, we decided not do another sappy Happy Mother’s Day post. Instead, we hope you will enjoy reading this and discover some traits of the modern mum you secretly knew was there all along.
1. The Chillax Mum – She is very confident that her kids will be fine in the future. That they will get jobs and find work. She’s not bothered about grades, where the kids go to school or whether they have tuition or homework. Her priority is that her children are happy and have a good childhood.
2. The WLE (wa-lah-eh) Mum – According to the urban dictionary, she is the drama mama reincarnated. She has a BIG reaction to every news received about her children. She over-reacts, overthinks, over signifies, overly-justifies and basically makes a mountain out of a molehill. If a teacher tells her that her child is inattentive in class, she immediately makes an appointment to have her child tested and assessed.
3. The FOMO Mum – You can identify the FOMO mom very easily because she often utters these words: “We have no more time.” “Faster lah!” “Hurry up! Hurry UP!” FOMO stands for Fear of Missing Out. She is the updated version of the Kan Cheong mum. The FOMO Mum is always the first to register online for the parent-teacher meeting. On your parents’ WhatsApp chat, she is most likely the admin and the flag raiser to any impending issues relating to our kids.
4. The Cinderella Mum – She is always reliable. She never complains, never asks for thanks. At midnight, you can find her happily whipping up supper or ironing her children’s socks for school. The house is impeccably clean. Breakfast, lunch and dinner is always plated to perfection. She cooks. She cleans. She serves. And she does it all with a smile.
5. The Tai-tai (aka fashionista) Mum – She always looks like she has just stepped out of a beauty salon, even at our 730AM PSG (parent-support-group) meeting. She’s the one you want to ask which finishing school in France or Switzerland you should send your daughter to. Always poised, stylish and impeccably dressed for the right occasions, this mom knows how to glam up any event.
6. The Buy 2-Get-1-Free Mum – You should have her number on speed dial. You can always count on her to know where all the good deals are. She knows a guy who knows a guy who can get you the best bang for your buck. If your child’s phone is cracked, she can get it fixed for free. You just have to buy her lunch. Also known as the Lobang-Queen, she can tell you who and where to get the cheapest and best in anything.
7. The Mommy-KNOWS-Best Mum – She is the one who knows what is best for her children. She dictates their time and charts out their study, play and extra-curricular activities schedules. She has already researched which university her child will go to, the company he or she will work for and is on the lookout for a suitable mate. Overbearing, Drill Sergeant, and extremely result-oriented.
8. Everything Oso-Can Mum – She agrees to every whim and fancy her child has. She will gladly spend almost two hours in a commute just to get that particular barbequed pork that her child likes to eat. She is the one slaving over homework while her child plays. But beware, when her limit is reached, this “mumster” in her will show herself.
9. Bob-the-Builder Mom – She is the one you see running after her bulldozing child, picking up the pieces and apologizing to the victims in the aftermath. She gives her child marker pens to encourage creativity and then is seen scrubbing walls in the aftermath of her child’s creativity episodes. In her bag you will find all kinds of glue, tape, first-aid kit and cleansing solutions – everything you need to fix “boo-boos”.
10. Rabbit-out-of-the-Hat Mum – This mum is insanely talented. She can throw a brilliant party or playdate a minute’s notice. She is always prepared and has a solution for every problem under the sun. If your child forgets to bring his geometry set for his exam, call this mum. She’ll have an extra set in her car or her child’s school bag. If you forget when an assignment is due or where your child is going for excursion, you can always count on her to know the details.
Recognize any of the moms in you?
Disclaimer: There is a hybrid of some or all of the above characteristics in every mum. This post is meant as a tongue-in-cheek poke at ourselves as mothers and the different versions of our alter-egos. We do recognize that all mothers are incredibly talented on all levels. Here is wishing my fellow mothers a very Happy Mother’s Day!!
Till our next post, love yourself, love one another.